The best lemon bars are not Italian, I know.
I’m not sure if the original recipe comes from UK or USA, but I’m afraid is definitely not Italian.
Anyway here in Tuscany, from my garden, I’ve a fabulous lemon tree which gives juicy lemons and I couldn’t not try this sweet treat.
Furthermore a friend of mine from Napoli told me that she bakes the best lemon bars with lemons from Sorrento and you can imagine how fantastic they come up.
Since I’m a Cooking Classes instructor and a Private Chef in Tuscany, I love quality ingredients, local produce and, first of all, seasonal fruit and veggies. I’m a Slow Food manager as well and I wish a world where the food is “fair, clean and good”.
That’s why with my company “Cuoche in Vacanza” (Italian for Chefs for your holiday), we pay the utmost attention in preparing the whole meal by scratch. Directly at our customer’s holiday home.
Well we have lemons all year long here in Italy and I wished to bake the best lemon bars as I saw these fantastic fruits in my garden.
The recipe that I’m going to write you down here is perfect and well balanced in sugar and sour flavor. Is not so easy to obtain this, but you can take it for granted. We made the best lemon bars many times and now I can be sure about the right amount of ingredients and baking times.
I love my job and I try to pass down to others all the secrets learnt from my granny first and Chef Academy later.
Well here you can find all the right steps and amount of ingredients. I’m sure you can’t be wrong. They’ll be the best lemon bars you could make!
I love bars! Which taste are the bars you prefer?
Do you prefer preparing the crust by scratch or using cookies crumbles? Why?
I’m at your disposal for any question, just write a comment and I’ll answer you asap!
- THE CRUST:
- 1 cup (230 gr) butter
- ½ cup (100 gr) caster sugar
- ¼ cup (30 gr) cornstarch
- 1 and ¾ cups (220 gr) all purpose flour
- THE LEMON FILLING:
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 and ½ cups (300 gr) caster sugar
- ¼ cup (30 gr) all purpose flour
- The Crust:
- Line a baking pan (cm30 x cm20; 9x13inch) with parchment paper.
- whisk in a large bowl the flour, cornstarch and sugar
- Add to this mixture the butter in small pieces
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan and press it down to obtain one layer
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for about 25 minutes (the edges must be golden)
- Set aside
- The Lemon Filling:
- Mix together the flour and sugar. Pour in the lemon juice and eggs and mix.
- pour this lemon filling over the crust and bake again for about 15 mins at 350°F (180°C). The Lemon filling must be set.
- let it cool over a wire rack, than refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Slice into bars, sift icing sugar on top.