Here are 10 granny’s kitchen tricks that I’m sure will improve your cooking life.
My granny’s tips section is having a lot of success and I can easily understand why: my granny changed my life in a better one and I’m sure that will be the same for you.
So, since we already read the following precious tips from my granny about:
- Italian Pizza and all the right steps to have a perfect one
we can go now with my granny’s kitchen tricks!
- The stale bread turns into excellent breadcrumbs, but it is very difficult to grate if the pieces are too big. Then immediately cut the bread that is left in small cubes. In this way you will have 2 benefits: they will be excellent croutons for soups; it will be very easy to grate them to make breadcrumbs.
- Have to chop parsley or other herbs, but don’t want to make a mess on your work surface (bits of leaves splash everywhere)? Well, sprinkle on the leaves one pinch of fine salt. Problem solved.
- Have to chop a small amount of parsley (or aromatic herbs) but don’t want to dirty the cutting board, the big knife etc.? Well, put your small amount in a coffee cup and mince the herbs with the tip of the kitchen scissors.
- Your film is tangled? Put your hands under the water for 3 seconds. With wet hands it’ll be easier to unroll it. Furthermore: put your film in the fridge: it won’t stick and you’ll avoid to waste it every time.
- Hardened Honey? Or they gave you a cristallized one and you don’t like it? Leave the closed jar in a small pot with hot water (you can also heat it in a bain marie) till you’ll see changing the texture.
- It’s not so easy, using parchement paper, to line a round baking tray. Well, cut the piece that you need, put it under the tap (warm water), than squeeze it well. You’ll be able to give to the parchement paper the shape that you prefer.
- Wooden spoons must be different for different uses: sauces, creams, soups etc. If they have the same shape, use the red hot blade of a knife to mark them with different signs.
- You must put the jam in the jar when is still very hot and you risk to dirty or to burn yourself. In case you have not a wide-mouth funnel, use that one for the dishwasher salt. It’s perfect!
- Before heating the milk: fill the saucepan with cold water, than empty it and pour in the milk that you need without drying the pot. Even boiling, no annoying film will form on the walls.
- To flour and butter some small molds (for flans for example). After having buttered all the molds, put the flour only in one of these; lid the mold with another mold and “shake” them together to exchange flour. Repeat this step with other flour and other molds. You’ll avoid wastes and making mess!
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it x
Erika Elia says
You’re Welcome! Let me know if you need help for Italian recipes. Ciao!