Last Summer, running some Cooking Classes in Tuscany with some students from U.S.A., I thought the first time to this dessert.
In fact while tasting some “savoiardi” (Italian for ladyfingers), someone told me about his love for Amaretti cookies and Amaretto di Saronno liqueur. Since that moment I decided to create a dessert in a glass with a layer of amaretti crumbles.
I made it the firs time for Christmas lunch at my home. My mum and brother live in Grosseto, South of Tuscany, and here in Pisa I have my father and my stepmother; it’s so difficult to be all together and when there’s a special occasion I always take the advantage to invite everyone at my home. So I prepared the Mascarpone Cream with Amaretti Crumbles and dark chocolate flakes for 8 people in total and this is the same dose in the below recipe.
It’s an easy and fast recipe at all, but definitely gorgeous and you can imagine how tasteful and luxurious; in a few words this is a dessert that will wow your friends or everyone who’ll taste it and making it in a special occasion is the right way, because of its elegant and beautiful aspect.
Because of its easiness and speed I’ll definitely add this to the Private Cooking Classes in Tuscany Menu, our students can make it with no problem even if at their Holiday Homes.
Nowadays the most successfull dessert in cooking classes is the Tiramisu and I’m so happy when my students post some pictures on Facebook or Instagram about some recipes that they made during their Summer cooking classes in Tuscany, when everything is easier: it’s a way to remind the cheerfulness and spirit of some memories in Tuscany. It’s a way to keep in touch and I think is the best way to use Social Networks as well.
Margot, a friend from Nederlands, posted her Tiramisu pictures right some days ago, and some guys from Usa made the same with their Italian Menu Soirée; click Here to see our facebook Album with some pictures and dishes from our students once at home.
As I told you this dessert is very similar to Tiramisu (the cream is the same!) and it’s a very quick one.
I love spoon-desserts and the same is for our customers and students; click on the name of the following desserts which you can make in our cooking school in Tuscany: Bavarese, Zuppa Inglese, Zuccotto Toscano, Sicilian Cassata
I’m often looking for easy and fast recipes, since they’ve to be suitable both for Private Dinners in Tuscany and Private Cookery Courses. In fact as Private Chef than as Cooking Classes coach, in our itineranr restaurant and cooking school, we prepare everything from scratch, and on the spot…that’s no possible when the meal is complex and requires a long preparation.
As my granny often said: A homemade meal, prepared from scratch, even if simple it tastes delicious and is inevitably made with love!
Especially in Tuscany, a tourist often goes home after visiting our sites, regretting not having been able to truly savour the taste of their favourite Tuscan dish; this is impossible after a fully hands-on Cooking Class and bringing at home the recipes from this Italian cookery class.
The goal of my job as Cooking Coach and Personal Chef is in fact to offer:
the chance to learn to cook and to be able to enjoy it whenever you want
a cooking class authentic experience; only fresh and seasonal ingredients, local produce
Just some tips to follow:
- It’s necessary to have some glasses or glass bowls where to put it. You’ve to see the layers, that’s why is so nice. Since I had porcelain cups and just few of glasses for dessert, I used the glass container from Ikea candles and it turned out very well, because it’s better to have something larger on the top.
- Soak very slowly Amaretti crumbles with the Coffee and Amaretto di Saronno moisture, pouring this one from the top a bit at time, waiting that amaretti crumbles have absorbed all the liquid. This is a very important step, otherwise you could risk to obtain a too wet layer of cookies and they’d lose their crispness.
- A part from making a cream with the right texture, that’s the most important thing, the chocolate will be the touch giving a particular added value to your dessert. Buy a very good quality one, it rapresents ther starting and ending note of flavour while tasting the dessert. I bought a semisweet one with coffee powder inside, the flavour is fantastic and it recalls the coffee that you can taste at the last layer of the dessert.
- Buy Amaretti di Saronno cookies ; click HERE to buy on Amazon
- Buy the original Amaretto di Saronno liqueur
- 4 expresso coffee small cups
- 3 eggs
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 500gr fresh mascarpone
- 6 tbsp Amaretto di Saronno Liqueur
- box (250 gr) of amaretti cookies (about 6 each person)
- dark chocolate with coffee powder to make flakes or chocolate crumbles
- Make the espresso or moka coffee and let it cold
- whip 3 egg whites and set them a part
- whip 3 egg yolks with 4 tbsp of sugar until a pale yellow colour
- add to this cream the mascarpone cheese and stir well, but slowly: no lumps!
- pour 2 tbsp of Amaretto di Saronno and mix
- add the whipped whites folding, from top to bottom
- crumble the amaretti cookies in a paper bag; still remain crumbles, not powder
- pour in 4 tbsp of Amaretto di Saronno in the cold coffee and mix
- pour this coffee-liquer mixture over the amaretti crumbles, slowly, until they absorbed all the liquid and become brown
- assemble a layer of the crumbles on the bottom of a glass
- than a generous layer of mascarpone cream (help you with a spoon or a sac-poche)
- sprinkle the dark chocolate flakles on the top