Italian Carnival fried dough guys! It’s finally the time for.
As Carnival is coming here in Tuscany you can not give up these “sweets” related to the tradition. During these days their perfume pervades every house … especially that ones with children or with the greedy ones.
The scent of icing sugar is here in my house as well.
Tuscany is famous for fried dough, the same that we call “panzerotti” or “pasta fritta”. You can eat this typical dough during our Private dinners or Cooking Classes in Tuscany and I’ve to say that everyone appreciates the flavor of this typical food.
Furthermore for a Private Chef in Tuscany is taken for granted preparing the dough by scratch. In fact I always start kneading, as arrived to the villas or holiday homes where live our customers on vacation.
Well, Carnival fried dough is completely different. First of all because it’s something sweet, furthermore it’s so crispy and thin that it seems melting in your mouth.
We’re talking about an old Tuscan food: CENCI and the recipe that I’m leaving here comes from the biggest Tuscan recipes writer: Pellegrino Artusi. Maybe it’s a recipe 200 years old.
What’s a typical Carnival food in your country?
Would you like sharing the recipe here in the comments?
- Flour 240 gr (1 cup)
- Butter 20 gr (1 oz)
- Sugar 20 gr (2 tbsp)
- Eggs 2
- Brandy 1 tbsp
- Salt 1 pinch
- Peanut or Corn oil to fry
- Make a dough with these ingredients making a fairly stiff dough.
- Knead with your hands a lot, shape into a ball and let it rest, covered with a cotton cloth for about 1 hour.
- After resting, the dough will be much softer and easier to roll out.
- In case it's too tender, add more flour.
- Roll it out into a thin rectangle and with a pastry wheel (or knife) cut it into strips as long as your palm and two fingers wide.
- Make some incisions with the pastry wheel, twist and crinkle the strips and then fry them in the hot oil or lard (they should float), having different shapes. Transfer to a tray with a paper towel to absorb the extra oil.
- Dust with icing sugar once they are cold.
- This dose is enough to make a big dish.